I wanted to experiment with Ethiopian recipes because there is a big Ethiopian community up the street that sells enjira for 35 shillings…
Mesir Wat – Ethiopian Red Lentil Puree
- 2 cups red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 big knob of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon barbari spice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- salt (to taste)
- In a medium saucepan, cover the lentils with about 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Simmer. Stir occasionally. Start this going and move on to the next step.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or mini food processor, puree the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Heat ghee over a medium flame in a small skillet. Add the paprika, turmeric and cayene, and fry for 30 seconds. Add the onion mixture and fry for about 10 minutes, until rather dry and lightly browned.
- Scrape the mixture from the skillet into the lentil and add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Simmer until the lentils are fully pureed.
I found this recipe from herbivoracious.com