In Kenya there is no whole wheat bread, there is only brown bread verses white bread- but really same difference and actually makes more sense to me to just call bread by the color that it is. I found a recipe and made some for my Kenyan family to drink with chai in the mornings but of course I had to alter it and it still came out perfect!
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons oil
(2 tablespoons honey- I didnt use this)
2 tablespoons sugar (or brown sugar)
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast
- Mix sugar, yeast, and warm water together and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine flours, salt. Add yeast. Mix in oil and milk.
- knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cover with a cloth. Slice and enjoy while still warm